Many organisations retain vast amounts of data on microfilm or microfiche, which can pose a number of challenges:
- Microfilm equipment such as readers and reader printers are becoming increasingly difficult to source as most of the traditional manufacturers have ceased to produce them
- Spare parts and consumables for existing machines are also becoming less available for the same reasons
- Staff knowledge on how to operate microfilm equipment can be lost as the frequency of access to historical, but still valuable, information becomes less frequent
- Space occupied by cabinets holding occasionally accessed microfilm can be expensive or better utilised for more valuable purposes
- Microfilm will degrade over time and poses a GDPR risk where data needs to be retained for long periods or indefinitely
Digitising microfilm records will future proof the information contained on them whilst giving you all the extra benefits that electronic records offer: no specialist equipment needed, easy to access, increased security, simple to back up, full control and audit tracking.
We can offer a range of flexible scanning solutions that enable legacy data to be future-proofed to fit budgets and longer timeframes:
- Scan on Demand – send us the microfilm(s) you need to access and we will scan and return them as soon as you need them, even the same day
- Off-site Storage with Scan on Demand – let us store your microfilm, simply request any you need back and we will scan and return them, again same day if required
- Backlog Scanning – either as part of an offsite scan on demand service or as a bulk-scanning project; let us scan your microfilm legacy over a period that fits with your requirements and budget.
Hugh Symons offers a service for scanning historic micro-formats of all types including:
- 16mm film and fiche
- 35mm film and fiche
- Combination fiche
- COM fiche
Scanned images can be output into all standard file formats for upload to any Electronic Documents Records Management (EDRM) system. We provide microfilm services to customers in a variety of sectors which help manage their microfilm efficiently and cost-effectively:
We currently store microfilm libraries for several Councils, covering Planning, Building Control and Social Services records and offer a scan on demand service with 24-hour turnaround.
Insurance & Finance
Tens of thousands of microfilmed insurance records are held in our secure storage facilities with daily requests scanned and returned, sometimes under a same day SLA.
Archive patient records in both 16mm jacket and roll film formats are scanned and imported into electronic patient record systems for hospitals across the UK.
Hundreds of thousands of microfilmed pension records are held in fireproof safes at our archive centre. A scan on demand service allows customers to access their information from anywhere in the UK and beyond.
Utilities and Engineering
Large format documents such as drawings and plans held in 35mm microfilm jacket format are digitised on demand for access and editing in customer electronic systems.